National Motorsport Week 2012 runs from 30 June to 8 July and has competition prizes, factory tours, signed F1 components and even opportunities to become team members for a day.
Timed to coincide with both the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix, the event is intended to remind people that the UK is at the epicentre of global motor sport. Certainly, some of the statistics are impressive:
• Britain has produced more F1 World Champions than any other nation with ten title winners; Brazil and Finland are next up with three each.
• Two of the last three F1 World Champions are British – Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.
• More British drivers (32) have won the 24 Hours of Le Mans than those representing any other nation, including France (27).
• British-based constructors have won no fewer than 37 F1 Constructors' Championships well ahead of Italian (16) and French (1) based companies.
• Eight of the 12 current F1 teams are based in the UK and four have already won a Grand Prix in 2012.
• Two of the three premier World Rally Championship teams are based in the UK.